5000' ethernet?

Michael Powell nightrecon at verizon.net
Thu Jul 16 20:31:51 UTC 2009

[snip]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_sense_multiple_access_with_collision_detection:

> "Also, in Full Duplex Ethernet, collisions are impossible since data is
> transmitted and received on different wires, and each segment is
> connected directly to a switch. Therefore, CSMA/CD is not used on Full
> Duplex Ethernet networks."

Aha! I did not know this (obviously). Learn something new every day... Maybe
I'm getting too old for this line of work. The brain just isn't working the
way it once did. I'm a big proponent of RTFM, but usually am looking at new
material instead of forgetting stuff I read +20yrs ago. Thanks for setting
me straight guys, it's better to be "in the know" than the other way around.
Maybe time to retire.

I remember a Netware 4.12 install where the client had to run twice on full
duplex because on the first attempt the acks came back too fast. Didn't do
it on half. Same place I had no end of trouble trying to get a PC we used as
a controller to connect a check processing transport to the back end
servers. No matter what I did nothing worked. Turned out they had 600 feet
of wire and forgotten to put a bridge in the middle that had been initially
planned.

-Mike