Automatic screen lock when leaving desk

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Jul 15 22:28:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:45:02AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> I used to be a NeXTie, and the Screensaver.app there had a really nifty
> little feature.  I'm surprised it's not been copied into other screensaver
> applications since, as it's pretty simple.  They just had a facility where
> moving the mouse cursor to one corner of the screen and leaving it still
> for a few seconds would cause the screen saver / screen lock to come on
> straight away.
>
> Conversely you could designate another corner of the screen as "don't turn
> on screensaver even after an extended period of idleness".  Being a NeXT app
> this was all configurable by dragging little '+' or '-' icons around a
> scaled down image of the screen, or off it entirely if you didn't want that
> facility.

Does /usr/ports/x11/xscreensaver.app do this?  It almost certainly
requires the GNUStep framework as a dependency, but you may find a number
of old "friends" (applications you liked) are available for that
framework, in varying states of faithfulness to what you remember.  If
you like the old interface as a whole, you might try using WindowMaker
with the GNUStep framework.

I actually used WindowMaker/GNUStep for a while, and liked it, but
eventually decided I liked Sawfish slightly more, then that I liked AHWM
a *lot* more.

Quoth Alan Kay: "I invented the term 'Object-Oriented', and I can tell
you I did not have C++ in mind."