5000' ethernet?

Michelle Konzack bsd4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Wed Jul 15 20:32:27 UTC 2009

Hello David,

Am 2009-07-15 14:47:18, schrieb David Kelly:
> Not directly FreeBSD related, but how much of a chance is there that two
> machines could communicate directly over 5,000 feet of cat5 with no
> special hardware?

I do not know hoe much a feet is in meters but AFAIK arround 0,3 which
mean, you are talking about 1.5km or 1 mile ?

I would say, NO chance with Ethernet...  it is limited to 500 meters.

> 100baseT uses lower power drivers than 10baseT, so perhaps 10baseT would
> work better.

There are inexpensive FiberOptic Transponder (I am using a bunch  of  it
from Transmode for my CWDM 1GE and DWDM 10GE network)

The 100 Mbit Transponder cost  arround  600 Euro  (each)  and  for  your
5000 feets you need only  an  inexpensive  FiberOptic  cable.  EVEN  the
cheapes one would transfer 1 Gbit at this distance.

> Are there any particular range extenders you have used and would
> recommend for making this task a sure thing on the first try? Perhaps I
> should put an inexpensive ethernet switch at each junction to serve as a
> regenerative repeater?

You have to use at least 3 Repeaters which NEED electricity.
Do you know this?

5000 feet CAT5, 3 Repeater plus electric installation  cost  more,  then
the FiberOptic Cable with two Transponder.  And of course,  no  one  can
sniff traffic on FiberOptic and you have no worry about magnetic  fields
disturbing your 5000 feet...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   c/o Vertriebsp. KabelBW
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               Blumenstrasse 2
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           77694 Kehl/Germany
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)                     Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886                                Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193