turning off the wireless network radio

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Jul 14 20:35:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:20:25PM +0200, Maciej Milewski wrote:
> Dnia wtorek 14 lipiec 2009 o 07:38:49 Chad Perrin napisał(a):
> > I'm having a real bitch of a time trying to figure out how to shut down
> > the wireless adapter's radio.  The driver module won't unload as long as
> > the adapter is active, and neither ifconfig nor iwicontrol are providing
> > a solution either.
> >
> > I'm using (as you may have guessed by mention of iwicontrol) an Intel
> > wireless adapter, with if_iwi.ko as my driver module.  It's an Intel
> > PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection according to pciconf -lv.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> You can try doing this by software switch:
> sysctl -a | grep rfkill
> dev.ath.0.rfkill: 0
> This switch should disable radio.
> I don't know if it is supported by iwi driver but you can try.

At first glance, it looks like the iwi equivalent is dev.iwi.0.radio,
where 1 is on and 0 is off.  It won't let me set it to 0, though,
claiming it's a read-only sysctl setting.

. . . and trying to set the debug.iwi sysctl setting to 1 caused the
computer to reboot (not intended behavior, I'm sure).  Bah.  I wonder if
there's something wrong with my driver.

Quoth Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programmers: "Never test for an
error condition you don't know how to handle."