Should DNS be on same server as webserver?

Karl Vogel vogelke+unix at pobox.com
Mon Jul 13 23:01:44 UTC 2009

>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:03:24 -0400,
>> Jon Radel <jon at radel.com> said:

J> Apache and Bind have both had their security issues over the years, and
J> there's something to be said for running them on different servers to
J> reduce both the "all eggs in one basket" factor and the ease of
J> spreading an attack.  (Yes, I'm assuming what you're actually
J> running....)

   You can fix the security problems by dumping Bind and using djbdns.
   It's very easy to set up a caching nameserver without using all the
   memory on your system.  See http://www.lifewithdjbdns.com/ for more.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company
Smash forehead on keyboard to continue...       --Ken Applin