FreeBSD for a high school class? (long)

Jakub Lach jakub_lach at mailplus.pl
Mon Jul 13 12:43:02 UTC 2009

Mel Flynn-2 wrote:

> I remember running KDE3 with firefox-1 on a P-III 900 with 256MB, FBSD 4.x
> and
> window switching ('alt-tab') wasn't a joy, being in permanent swap.

Hello.

The key to running KDE3 with PIII is 512MB<=RAM I think. With 768MB RAM and
1400Mhz at 1300Mhz PIII I'm not using swap at all (stripped KDE3/7.2-STABLE).
I'm runnig opera-devel, firefox35 (fresh ports tree). If memory serves me
right,
PIII 750/1000Mhz wasn't that bad either. Also, with 512MB it was swapping a
little
only when compiling something heavy. OO.o could be not usable tho.

-best regards,
Jakub Lach