Strange behaviour on Gnome with FreeBSD-7.2

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:50:49 UTC 2009

Hello,

This message was earlier posted to freebsd-gnome, from where there was
no response. I am consequently re-posting to freebsd-questions in hope
of something better.

I had FreeBSD-7.2 on my system a few days back, but had to reinstall it
afresh last week. In the new install, I did not install any packages
from the distribution media. Instead I built everything from ports. The
itself.

There is one problem that I faced with the old installation and am
facing with the new installation as well. Upon startx, all font sizes
(application, desktop, document, fixed, window title) are always one
unit less (in size) compared to what they are set. The moment I
right-click on the desktop and select 'Change desktop background', the
font sizes get incremented to the correct values everywhere.

With the new installation, I am facing additional - and much more
serious - problems, maybe on account of something I have missed.

1) Window applications which normally remember their size and position
(eg, Nautilus) have lost this capability. Now I have to resize and
reposition these windows each time I exec gnome-session from .xinitrc

2) Resizing/repositioning windows happens in slow, jittery movements
with the display getting wavy till the window is dropped into its
desired size/position

3) Scrolling up and down a window (eg in Firefox3, Nautilus) using the
mouse or the scrollbar is painfully slow, with the display again getting
highly wavy.

If anybody has any clue what could possibly be wrong with my setup, I
would be grateful to find out what.

Thanks in advance

--
Regards