FreeBSD for a high school class? (long)

Brent Bloxam brentb at beanfield.com
Thu Jul 9 15:52:24 UTC 2009

Chris wrote:

> The course is HTML. Mouse button operations should be close,
> a window that gives a simple file directory and a text editor that
> doesn't require learning a character command set would be the
> target.

Hi Chris,

Maybe look at using Xfce, which is a lightweight window manager based on
GTK+ and is available in the ports tree and as a package (from the
machine specs, I assume you'll be installing packages). The theme you
use for it will impact performance as well, but the default should be fine.

For text-editing you can try Mousepad
(http://www.xfce.org/projects/mousepad/) and Thunar
(http://www.xfce.org/projects/thunar/) for file management