Grid computing under FreeBSD using jails ... ?

Norberto Meijome numard at meijome.net
Wed Jul 8 11:16:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:42:45 -0500
"Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Norberto Meijome<freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 20:27:10 -0500
> > "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am also interested in using FreeBSD as the host in some  grid/cloud
> >> solution I am open to any Ideas anyone has.
> >
> > Hey Sam,
> > do you have any particular grid/cloud/clustering solution in mind? I think
> > that Sun's grid engine works in FBSD (it is present in ports)...
> >
> > /usr/ports
> > $ make search info=grid\ engine
> >
> > There was a similar,but short discussion in this list around August 11th
> > 2008, Subject 'cluster filesystem', mentioning things like hadoop + gluster
> > on BSD.
>
> I know this thread has been dormant for quite some time, but I want to see if
> anyone has any ideas how how we could do cloud hosting using FreeBSD
> as the host system.
> A better way to put it is a FreeBSD Based Amazon EC2.
>
> basically a bunch of FreeBSD servers, that are in a cluster, and could
> host a bunch of
> Xen Domu's . I am aware that FreeBSD does not yet have Xen dom0 support.
>
> but are there any other competing projects to xen that I am unaware of.
>
> Sam Fourman Jr.

Hi Sam,
i wish i had a definite answer for you.. my day job has pushed me straight into linux land again...

anyway, some thoughts :
  - eucalyptus , a project that implements, AFAIK, cloud services (on linux), using XEN and/or KVM, API complaint with EC2. would it work w/fbsd?
 - KVM , there are some mentions of it being implemented as a freebsd kernel module. but not sure how to use it or if it works well.

i'd love to hear what solution you come up with

good luck,