FreeBSD HA file cluster possibilities

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Wed Jul 8 07:38:19 UTC 2009

Hi Rick,

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 02:17:46PM +0200, RIck van der Zwet typed:
> I been (re)searching and reading what the options are with regards to
> H(igh) A(vailablility) file storage using FreeBSD, but cannot yet find a
> proper working solution. Any advice welcome!

I've sought for proper working solutions as well, and unfortunately found
much the same obstacles as you have.
a DRBD port to FreeBSD would be great, but I think it would be a lot of
work. The way it can recover from a broken mirror makes it a killer app IMO.

This is what I ended up doing:
- Use application level mirroring where possible
- Use rsync where (small) data loss is acceptable
- buy dedicated hardware where HA storage is mandatory

regards,
Ruben