processor concern

Ivailo Tanusheff i.tanusheff at procreditbank.bg
Tue Jul 7 06:54:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

There is no i686 architecture, most likely it is i386.
You better find out two major things:
- is your processor a 64bit one;
- do you want to use the full 64bit functionality if the prior one is
true.

If some of the answers is NO, then you should go with i386, which fully
covers the architecture.
If both answers are YES, them use AMD64, even your processor is Intel.
This is an acronym of 64bit processor architecture

Regards,

Ivailo Tanusheff
Deputy Head of IT Department
ProCredit Bank (Bulgaria) AD

"Ergosky" <powergo13 at hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
06.07.2009 22:44

<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
cc

Subject
processor concern

Hi. I want to download and start using FreeBSD but I've investigated about
the differences between the processors architecture. My processor has a
i686 architecture but there just seems to be a i386 full-arquitecture
supported by the OS. I want to know if there's a distribution optimized
for my processor's architecture to take full advantage of it's
performance. Thanks in advance for your response.