processor concern

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jul 6 20:07:30 UTC 2009

> Hi. I want to download and start using FreeBSD but I've investigated about the differences between the processors architecture. My processor has a i686 architecture but there just seems to be a i386 full-arquitecture supported by the OS. I want to know if there's a distribution optimized for my processor's architecture to take full advantage of it's performance. Thanks in advance for your response.

There is not such thing as i686 architecture.

I assume you mean that you have an i686 processor, which is either i386
or amd64 architecture, depending on how the OS decides to use it.

For a desktop system, you probably want to use i386.  For a server, amd64
is probably better.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com