how to do a live migration of a freebsd box to another box with rsync

Bertram Scharpf lists at bertram-scharpf.de
Mon Jul 6 01:25:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 05. Jul 2009, 18:18:03 +0200 schrieb insrc:
> - as the UFS write support is still experimental in the Linux kernel, it
> seems that i've to use a BSD liveCD but i can't find one :-/ I heard about
> frenzy ( http://frenzy.org.ua/en/ ) but the homepage says that the project
> is no longer maintained !

There is a livefs with the original ISO images:

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.2/

I further found DesktopBSD but I didn't try that.

I strongly recommend that you build yourself an USB stick.
Here's what you need to do:

  http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/4/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stick-episode-2

I went forth, chrooted into the stick and installed Vim, some
diagnose/repair tools and an XFCE. I even managed to install Grub
and let the user switch the boot process back to the hard disk.
Further, I made a second partition named "transfer" formatted with
FAT so that I can write some data from a Windows to it.

I look enviously at the Grml project and I find it a great pity
that there is no BSD equivalent.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf