Speeding up Xorg on Dell Inspiron 1525

Leonardo M. Ramé martinrame at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 5 23:00:08 UTC 2009

I'm running 7.2-RELEASE i386 on a Dell Inspiron 1525. This laptop has an Intel GM965 Mobile graphics card, and while X performance is acceptable, it feels slow compared to Windows XP installed on another partition on the same machine.

Does anyone has this same computer? What can I do to improve the performance of X?.

These are the relevant parts of my xorg.conf:

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "dri2"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
    Option      "DRI"  "true"                    # [<bool>]
    Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option      "AGPFastWrite"  "on"
    Option        "UseFBDev" "true"
    VideoRam    32000
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "intel"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

 Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com