POLL: Linux preferences from FreeBSD users

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jul 3 20:12:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:59:26 -0400, Daniel Underwood <djuatdelta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are most of these shortcomings primarily due to the fact that FreeBSD
> has a single structured line of development?

In opposite to Linux, FreeBSD has the concept of a centrally maintained
operating system ("the OS") and additional applications ("everything
else") which means packages, ports, and 3rd party software. You can
see this even through the directory hierarchy: Everything inside
the /usr/local subtree is not needed for the OS (and can be removed
with leaving you with a completely intact OS). The distributors of
Linux choose what belongs to their distribution which does not have
such a separation. Basal software, as well as additional stuff, is
incorporated via some kind of packages, even the kernel can be
handled that way. Of course, as you said, most Linux distribution
has its own concept and line of development, separated from those
of the other distributions. That creates incompatibilities and
differences between the distributions. FreeBSD, on the other hand,
manages to keep even binary compatibility between major OS changes.
Those who develop and control the OS are programmers who put a lot
emphasize on quality - and that's very important to me.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0