Fix It CD, bsdlabel, and /dev?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jul 3 20:04:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:05:13 -0700, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> Next I used bsdlabel
> and created 500M a: partitions on two of the drives (ad6 & ad8).
                    ^
There is no colon after the partition letter. The colon
is used to refer (or change) to the 1st DOS diskette drive. :-)

> However /dev/ad6s1a and /dev/ad8s1a do not exist. I do have entries such
> as /dev/ad6a and/dev/ad8a but gmirror doesn't like those. What must I do
> the get them to show after I've labeled?

If you have /dev/ad[68]a, it indicates that you haven't created a
slice on those disks, instead you created one partition (a) on
each of the disks.

If you are a lazy guy (as I am), then use sysinstall to create the
slices and the partition. Choose "standard MBR" after the slice
editor and go ahead with the partition editor.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0