boot0 / LILO / GRUB: dual boot FreeBSD and Linux

Daniel Underwood djuatdelta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 00:23:27 UTC 2009

I'm getting a new desktop through my university which will come
installed with Windows Vista.  Obviously, my first action item will be
removing Vista and installing a reasonable OS.  Due to the need to be
up-and-running immediately with an OS that I'm comfortable with, I'll
be installing Linux (probably Ubuntu).  But I'd like to set-up FreeBSD
also.

Which of the boot managers do you suggest I use?  Which OS should I
install first?  Since I've never set-up a FreeBSD/Linux dual-boot
system, I don't know what, if any, pitfalls to avoid.  I'm hoping some
of you will have experience I can learn from.  Any relevant advice
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Daniel