Restarting new Xorg freezes system

Alain G. Fabry alainfabry at belgacom.net
Thu Jan 29 22:49:59 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:18:10PM -0800, Luke Dean wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Glen Barber wrote:
>
> >Luke Dean wrote:
> >>
> >>The operating system and ports were all cvsupped and built from source
> >>today.  I'm running Xorg + windowmaker + the "radeon" driver on i386
> >>7-STABLE
> >>
> >>My xorg.conf was built from scratch by "Xorg -configure", plus I added
> >>Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
> >>to the "ServerLayout" section, per /usr/ports/UPDATING, since I'm not
> >>running hal and I can't get keyboard or mouse otherwise.
> >>
> >>Everything appears to be great.  My applications launch much faster than
> >>they did before the upgrade.  Shutting down and restarting X is the only
> >>problem I'm having.  This was not a problem before I upgraded to the new
> >>Xorg.
> >>
> >>This is a desktop system.  I launch X with "startx" from the console.  I
> >>can shut down X either by exiting windowmaker or by killing the Xorg
> >>server with ctrl+alt+backspace.  There appear to be some failure messages
> >>on the console when I shut down X, but I don't know what they mean or
> >>if they're important.  I'm attaching a log below.  I don't see any stuck
> >>processes after the shutdown, but perhaps I don't know what I'm looking
> >>for.
> >>
> >>If I later restart X with "startx", some corrupted graphical junk appears
> >>on the screen and the system freezes solid.  Keyboard and mouse are
> >>completely unresponsive.  NumLock light won't change.  I can't ssh into
> >>the system either.
> >>I can reproduce this at will, but my hard drives don't like it.
> >>
> >>Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
> >>Do I need to switch to hal?
> >>

> >Have you read /usr/ports/UPDATING?
> >

> Well.. yeah... See my second paragraph above.
> Is there something in there that I'm not seeing that explains why
> restarting X would hang the whole system?

You by any chance don't have dual-headed X configured? I had a similar problem and after removing my second ServerLayout section + RgbPath + 'AllowEmptyInput' in xorg.conf, everything seems to work again (even my dual display ???)

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "PANEL" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

# Removed after upgrade xorg...

#Section "ServerLayout"
#       Identifier     "X.org Configured"
#       Screen      0  "PANEL" 0 0
#       Screen      1  "VGA_1" RightOf "PANEL"
#       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
#       InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
#        Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
#       Option  "Xinerama" "true"
#EndSection