ISOs

Peter Ulrich Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.net
Thu Jan 29 20:52:43 PST 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, IT2 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR wrote:

> Mr. Kruppa:
>
>    Indeed there seems to be a discrepancy between your comments (that the
> DVD is inclusive of the documentation) and Mr. Barber, who indicated in his
> email to me that the DVD is NOT inclusive of the documentation (only the
> three CDs, I did not include his email but can if you wish to see it).
>
>    Can you or he clarify this?
Please do read
 	http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.1R/announce.html
"Availability" yourself:
dvd1:

     Contains everything necessary to install the base FreeBSD
operating system, a collection of pre-built packages, the
documentation, and supports booting into a "livefs" based rescue
mode. This should be all you need if you can burn and use
DVD-sized media.

Greetings,

Uli.

> V/R,
>
> Stuart
>

> On 1/29/09 9:34 AM, "Peter Ulrich Kruppa" <ulrich at pukruppa.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, IT2 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Sir or Ma'am:
>>>
>>>    I have tried to search Google and that, but probably am not using the
>>> right conglomerate of keywords to find what I want to know, so I am resigned
>>> to asking you.
>>>
>>>    I recently noticed that there are quite a number of DVDs and CD-ROMs out
>>> for FreeBSD, and I'd like to give it a try. So I downloaded the amd64-all
>>> torrent, but I fear I likely have more ISOs than I need.
>>>
>>>    Does the "dvd1" include the contents of the docs?
>>>
>>>    What are all the other ISOs?
>>>
>>>    I saw no documentation on the freebsd.org site descriptive what I am
>>> asking.
>>>
>>> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
>> This is only a very minimalistic Operating System/Installation
>> CD, nearly everything has to be downloaded from the internet.
>> You should know what you do, when you use this.
>>
>>> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
>>> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc2.iso
>>> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc3.iso