security holes

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:46:53 PST 2009

When and if I upgrade, I will be doing it by compiling the system from
source (buildworld or what it's called) according to:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
For the installworld and mergemaster steps, it's strongly recommended
to drop into single user mode.  However, since my server is in a data
center, it's a bit of trouble to do so (requires the "boss" there to
hook up some sort of keyboard-input over a web browser application).
I'm wondering if for the upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1 it would be OK to NOT
drop into single user mode during these steps.