ISOs

Peter Ulrich Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.net
Thu Jan 29 09:46:14 PST 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, IT2 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR wrote:

> Dear Sir or Ma'am:
>
>    I have tried to search Google and that, but probably am not using the
> right conglomerate of keywords to find what I want to know, so I am resigned
> to asking you.
>
>    I recently noticed that there are quite a number of DVDs and CD-ROMs out
> for FreeBSD, and I'd like to give it a try. So I downloaded the amd64-all
> torrent, but I fear I likely have more ISOs than I need.
>
>    Does the "dvd1" include the contents of the docs?
>
>    What are all the other ISOs?
>
>    I saw no documentation on the freebsd.org site descriptive what I am
> asking.
>
> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
This is only a very minimalistic Operating System/Installation
CD, nearly everything has to be downloaded from the internet.
You should know what you do, when you use this.

> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc2.iso
> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc3.iso
> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-docs.iso
These are the release CD's. You will need at least disc1. The
others contain collections of useful software and information.

> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso
Contains the stuff of the four CD's

> 7.1-RELEASE-amd64-livefs.iso
A live-file-system, i.e. you can run the OS from CD without
installing it to your harddisk - not very complete, but nice for
testing.

>    Thanks in advance, and have a blessed day.

Greetings

Uli.