Steps to upgrade from 7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-RELEASE

Artem Kuchin matrix at itlegion.ru
Thu Jan 29 06:49:22 PST 2009

Mike Clarke ?????:
> On Thursday 29 January 2009, Akenner wrote:
>

>> For some reason if you follow along line by line in the book "FreeBSD
>> Unleashed Second edition" which was written and came with 5.0 on CD,
>> it doesn't work at all for some reason. I think there must have been
>> a few changes in the way things are done between these versions but I
>> couldn't get those instructions to work at all. I'm sure it works
>> great on 5.0 but I kind of fell for 7.1 like a school kid lol.

I have never had a single problem updating system remotely via internet
like this:

doing a sup file like this:

*default host=cvsup4.FReeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress

src-all
doc-all tag=.
ports-all tag=.

Then

csup supfile

Then
cd /usr/local/src
make buildworld >& bw
check the end of bw
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN >&bk
check what's in bk

i redirect output to save the bandwidth and traffic
stop as many thing as i can stop

make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN
make installworld >&iw

check what's in iw

mergemaster -p
mergemaster

disable everything in /local/etc/rc.d and as many as possible in rc.conf

shutdown -r now

and then it's up and it's a new version!

as i said - it never failed!

--
Artem