OCR...

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Thu Jan 29 05:11:26 PST 2009

From: "Gary Kline" <kline at thought.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:23 AM
To: "Andrew Gould" <andrewlylegould at gmail.com>
<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: OCR...

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:33:41PM -0600, Andrew Gould wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org>
>> wrote:

Yeah, if the image resolution is already at 72DPI, there's sadly no
trick in the world that can reliably return the "lost" information.
I've read some horrid scans with low resolution in Finereader, and it
can grab much of the information nicely. With low resolution be
prepared to manually correcting problem spots though. Only reliable
way to quesstimate resolution is the font size when at 100% in the
screen. If the text is about 10 pixels high, the information has
probably been stored in 72DPI for space saving purposes.

Wasn't aware of the FreeBSD/Linux backend, but if that works it'd be
great - haven't myself visited their website in ages as the version I
have does the job I got it for.

-Reko