Steps to upgrade from 7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-RELEASE

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 05:08:48 PST 2009

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:40, krad at snaffler.net <krad at snaffler.net> wrote:
>
>>> After installkernel finishes successfully, you should boot in single
>>> user mode (i.e. using boot -s from the loader prompt).
>>>
>>> How can this be done with a remote machine?
>>>

>> NO without serial access or some kind of ALOM card eg DELL DRAC CARD, as you
>> will have no ip up
>>

> Then correct me if I am wrong but if I do not have such a card, then I
> am better off using freebsd-update since it does not require me to
> boot in single user mode?
>
> Thanks!

Yes, freebsd-update does not require single user mode. Just follow the
updated handbook instructions:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html#FREEBSDUPDATE-UPGRADE

As an additional precaution, edit the /etc/rc.conf file and comment out
all non essential services when rebooting with the GENERIC kernel in the
intermediate step (assuming you were using a custom kernel).  Re-enable
them when you rebuild your custom kernel.