Steps to upgrade from 7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-RELEASE

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 22:47:52 PST 2009

Hi all,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 07:34, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Akenner wrote:
>>
>> RW wrote:

>>> It seems to me that most people that come to this list with base-system
>>> update problems are using  freebsd-update.
>>>

>> This is going to seem stupid, but instead of making a new topic, can
>> someone link to me a working link of the handbook where you update your CVS
>> and so on?  I know that on the FreeBSD page there is a handbook that has
>> exactly what I'm looking for, and for some reason I'm having trouble finding
>> it even though I used to have it saved but I don't anymore and I wanted to
>> get CVS sources updated so I can do some updating.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> csup -g -L 1 -h cvs#.cc.freebsd.org
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
>
> i.e: cvs17.us.freebsd.org
>
> This will update to your uname -r latest patchlevel.  Copy and replace (for
> you): RELENG_7_0 with RELENG_7_1 to get the latest patchlevel for 7.1
>

> Original doc seems either replaced by the freebsd-update method (while
> excellent, there are a few things that CVS really triumphs on).
>
> csup is part of base.
>
> I'd be glad to help you through.  The canonical update method is still
> listed in the handbook (SS. 24.7.1) used after retrieving the sources.

Thank you Tim for the answers! So far I have used freebsd-update to
apply updates. I seem to recall that it is never good to mix the two
systems (freebsd-updates and csup) to avoid trouble. Is that true?

Also, the documentation you mention (24.7.1) says this:

After installkernel finishes successfully, you should boot in single
user mode (i.e. using boot -s from the loader prompt).

How can this be done with a remote machine?

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.slowo.pl