Problems with Xorg update

Arthur Barlow arthurbarlow at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 19:01:12 PST 2009

Two days ago I checked to see what source code was out of date and I
noticed that many xf86 and various xorg drivers were.  Because the
number was significant I used the "portupgrade -a" command to make
sure all the dependencies were processed properly.  As it turned out,
there were still a couple of places were the process broke and I
needed to do a "deinstall" and "reinstall" on a certain package(s)
before I could continue.  When the process was done I tried to run
"startx", but I got an error.  I ran just X without startx or xinit
and I get the message:

	Fatal server error:
	Caught signal 11:  Server aborting

	Abort trap: 6

I've tried to reinstall xorg, xorg-drivers, and a handful of other
drivers, but no luck.  I'm using FreeBSD 6.4, and the upgrade was for
xorg-7.4.  Any suggestions?