coretemp for AMD?

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 07:14:24 PST 2009

And on Sunday 25 January 2009, Chris Whitehouse wrote:

> It works for me, I ran it and sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
> every 2 seconds in a while loop and cpu temperatures follow cpu
> activity closely and change in 1deg steps between about 25deg and
> 42deg. When I rebooted and checked temperature in the BIOS it was
> pretty much the same as what k8temp was saying just previously.
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature is fixed on 40deg even with high cpu
> activity.
>
> Maybe your processor is not supported?

Very odd. The processor is an Athlon 64 X2 4850e. Being one of the newer
energy efficient 45 watt models I suppose there might be a difference
in the temperature sensor. It might also be an issue with the
motherboard (Foxconn FC-6150M2MA-KRS2H). After I got the motherboard I
needed to upgrade the BIOS in an attempt to fix an unrelated problem.
Prior to the update even the BIOS reported silly high temperatures and
I remember FreeBSD reporting a constant 40C but I don't remember
whether this was from sysctl, k8temp or mbmon.

I don't overclock the system so after satisfying myself that it doesn't
have any tendency to overheat I no longer have much need to monitor the
CPU temperature so I think the way my system reports temperatures will
just remain as one of life's little mysteries.

--
Mike Clarke