Is there a trick to boot 7.1 install CD with USB keyboard?

Morgan Wesström freebsd-questions at pp.dyndns.biz
Wed Jan 28 05:26:49 PST 2009

Dell OptiPlex 745 - no PS/2 connectors.

USB keyboard works on boot menu but during kernel initialization I see this:

usb1: host controller halted
uhub1: device problem (IOERROR), disabling port 2

Keyboard is non-working when SYSINSTALL starts. Upgraded to latest BIOS
and error disappears but keyboard is still non-working in SYSINSTALL.
I've tried both front and rear USB ports. I've googled extensively but
can't find any workaround or trick to make this work. Solution seems to
be 8.0-CURRENT or am I missing something vital here? I was hoping for
some command to issue at the boot prompt...

Regards
Morgan