KDE: What a monster!

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 27 19:04:08 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 03:18:55AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:15:09 +0000, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > IMO these basic window managers are ok if you *only* use them via a
> > keyboard, but if you ever use a mouse they're very poor ergonomically.
>
> Well, I found this a problem, too, but very early recognized that
> there are window managers that can actually combine keyboard AND
> mouse control at a very user-friendly level. Such a window manager
> is WindowMaker.
>
> It can even utilize the keys on the left of a Sun Type 6 keyboard
> for window manager functions (front, back, roll up, hide, full-
> screen etc.) which "the big DEs" can't.
>
> What I don't like personally about "the big DEs" is their way of
> handling windows through the means of the mouse. You're forced
> to click on tiny buttons, and if you enlarge the control buttons,
> you end up with uselessly wasting screen space. In WindowMaker,
> there are many operations that don't force me to first move the
> mouse to a certain place and THEN do the operation I want. This
> makes windowing operations, especially in operations context,
> very fast and easily.
>
> So professional window managing isn't about minimalism only. There
> are other window managers that can provide effects and "bells
> and whistles" very efficiently, if you think you need them.
> But, of course, they're not "mainstream".

I have gotten very interested in window managers. Earlier tonight
I added links to about 6 non-mainstream window managers, including WindowMaker.
But I still don't understand how the menus of each of these WMs are customized
via .xinitrc, etc. Where can I find that info. I would like to have a
right click menu that would allow me to select a new WM to run with.
Is that possible?

Thanks.