Updates / Upgrades

Akenner SlackWareWolf at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 05:10:58 PST 2009

Da Rock wrote:

> It can be tricky at first, and I'm not sure about the update-scan
> utility you're using. Check out the handbook and just run the directions
> from there:
>
> portsnap fetch
> portsnap update (or you can run "portsnap fetch update" in one go)
>
> then
>
> freebsd-update fetch
> freebsd-update install (or all in one as above)
>
> then (assuming you've installed portupgrade as you mentioned above)
>
> portupgrade -a
>
> then reboot.
>
> If this doesn't work post back your errors and we can help you debug. If
> there are no errors in running these steps then all is good! :)
>
> If you want to check your programs are up to date then run the portsnap
> steps again and run pkg_version -v. The freebsd-update steps will tell
> you whether FreeBSD is up to date.
>
> HTH and good luck.

Thanks, I'm going to give this a try today. I had to take some time last
night and redo my set up in the tech room. My Wife and I have an entire
bedroom we aren't using (3 bedroom house, one spare room for guests, and
one we weren't going to use) so we made one room a tech room with all
out computers, and other little gadget workshop
.

After re-arranging some of the monitors and a desktop on my desk, I can
now use my BSD test box without neck strain heh.