printf and utf-8

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Mon Jan 26 15:12:43 PST 2009

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
>> Do you have a suggestion to solve the following problem without using
>> printf(1):
>>
>> I have a text file that I want to print in a "box" on a terminal from
>> a shell script. Now I've padded the lines with spaces to a certain
>> length using printf %-70s and appended the box drawing character. Is
>> there another simple way that will work with utf-8?
>
> My first thought was about dialog(1), but I'm not sure whether that
> deals with UTF8 any better...?

No, it doesn't seem to. Also it clears the entire screen to draw the
box. I only want a small box, and not clear the screen, and I don't want
a OK-button or any other user interaction. Just print the simple box,
then whatever follows from the script should print after it.

Nevertheless, thanks for your help and your time!

	sv.