can i split a pdf file?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jan 26 00:16:32 PST 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:06:18 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	Thanks, Gents,
>
> 	But according to one smallish pdf file that I send to a web based
> 	tool, it was not a real pdf.  Or, more accurately, it (the pdf to
> 	speech program) couldn't decode it.

This is a typical problem with "poorly engineered" PDFs where the
author puts in the text as images (you'll see this stupidity across
the Web, too).

A good tool to check if the PDF file can be (audibly) read is the
use of the tool pdftotext from the port xpdf.

	% pdftotext bla.pdf && less bla.txt

Then, even the FF speech plugin should work correctly - as long as
the PDF file contains decodable text. If it's just a bunch of images,
well, what are we expecting, hm? FF-speech: "You see a pretty image of
some text..." :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany