FreeBSD 7.1, Xorg 7.4, Nvidia

Jeff Molofee nehe at telus.net
Sun Jan 25 20:11:04 PST 2009

I upgrade to Xorg 7.4 yesterday, and now I can't seem to start gnome.
For the life of me, I can't figure out what is going on. startx and X
both start fine... (that is how I am able to type this email). But when
starting the machine, my screen just flashes a few times and returns to
the console. Looking at Xorg.0.log I see the same error a few others are
getting...

dlopen: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so: Undefined symbol
"miZeroLineScreenIndex"
(EE) Failed to load /usr/local/lib/modules//libfw.so
(EE) Failed to load module "wfb" (loader failed 7)
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Need libwfb but wfbScreenInit not found

I am also not able to use Vesa or NV (both options that have worked in
the past when having issues with the Nvidia driver).

I have read updating, and none of the advice has helped.

I have even tried the 180.22 driver.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get Gnome/GDM working again? I
don't care if I have 3d, as long as I have a usuable system until
drivers or issues are resolved.