coretemp for AMD?

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 10:00:28 PST 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009, Chris Whitehouse wrote:

> Can I read cpu die temperature for my AMD Athlon 64 X2 cpu with
> coretemp?

According to the man page the coretemp driver only provides support for
the on-die digital thermal sensor present in Intel Core and newer CPUs,
suggesting that it wouldn't work for AMD CPUs.

But I get sensible looking results for my Athlon 64 X2 4850e with the
following command:

	sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature

> According to
>
> http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html
>
> it includes AMD processors but when I load coretemp.ko sysctl still
> can't see dev.cpu.?.temperature.
>
> Is this even the same coretemp as the website talks about windows a
> lot?

That looks like a totally different Windows only application.

--
Mike Clarke