KDE: What a monster!

Geoff Fritz gfritz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 17:27:56 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 07:15:47PM -0500, Eduardo Cerejo wrote:
> I just finished installing kde4, and it can barely run on my old p4
> machine!  Where has kde gone?  Is the developing team trying to beat VISTA?
> Pitiful at best!

Try:

  cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/evilwm && make install clean

Can't beat a window manager with a  binary size of 29k and a resident
memory footprint under 2MB.  No window decorations, leaving lots of room
for xterms.  Launch everything via script or shell alias.  Very keyboard
driven.

If only I could find a terminal program that was smaller than "rxvt" I'd be
happy.

I feel your pain on the bloated software phenomenom.  That's the pain of
progress, I suppose.