Dell 2900 invalid partition table

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Jan 23 07:48:38 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:50:41PM +0100, Len Conrad wrote:

> >> freebsd 7.1
> >>
> >> Dell 2900, perc 6/i controller with 4 SATA disks in RAID1.
> >>
> >> We get all the through the disc1 install, reboot,
> >>
> >> arrive up to
> >>
> >> "Press <ctrl-E> for remote access setup  within 5 secs ...."
> >>
> >> then die with
> >>
> >> "Invalid partition table"
> >>
> >> We had RAID5, same problem, switch to RAID1.
> >>
> >> suggestions?
> >
> >Is your BIOS set to boot from the right device - the raid and
> >not the one of the disks in it???
> >

> Boot sequence says "1. drive c:"

Hmmm.   That could be the problem.
Do any of the other choices look interesting?

> controller disk setup shows RAID1 ready.
>
> I've looked everywhere to see if I can point the boot at RAID1.

I don't have a machine handy right now so I can look and see how
I set the BIOS (which was almost 2 years ago, so my memory of foggy).
They are a 9 hour drive away.   But, I did manage to get it.   There
was a difference.  The drives in the raid were SAS.    It doesn't
seem like that should matter, but...

////jerry