Help! locate.code /tmp: filesystem full

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Thu Jan 22 11:24:41 PST 2009

On Thursday 15 January 2009 13:37:06 Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:37:24 +0100, "Andy Wodfer" <wodfer at gmail.com> wrote:

Added context:

> > Here's the output of fsck (this was a new command to me):
> >
> > # fsck
> > ** /dev/ar0s1a (NO WRITE)

> > Should I run fsck -y? Is it safe to do so?
>
> At least, fsck will do its best to repair the defective file system.
> As you have seen from the messages, you will surely lose some files
> when their information gets cleared. If you use -y, fsck is allowed
> to do anything it considers neccessary doing.

fsck on a live filesystem (hint: NO WRITE) is a bad idea. Doing an fsck that
is supposed to repair stuff, always requires downtime, unless you use
background_fsck. However, many people discourage it's usage as it can leave
some errors unfixed.

In short: reboot in single user mode, then run fsck -y at the prompt.

Never ever run fsck -y on a live filesystem.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.