Do I need to run netif stop/start if IP is changed?

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Wed Jan 21 09:33:02 PST 2009

Peter Steele wrote:
> We have systems that upon initial configuration have no IP addresses
> assigned. Their rc.conf entries look like this:

<snip>
> and also executes explicit ifconfig and route add commands that match
> the entries in rc.conf.
>

> The question is, should we also execute a netif stop/start sequence when
> this IP/router information is assigned? Are there other services that
> should also be stopped/restarted when the IP is set? Ideally, we want to
> avoid having to reboot the box to set the IP as we are doing.

As far as I know you do not have to, changing interface settings with
ifconfig should be enough. I used to have a script to switch between LAN
and WLAN on my laptop which used only ifconfig <ip>, route flush and
route add default <routerip>.  Only thing that comes to mind that could
go wrong if daemons are configured to listen on a specifc ip instead of
(default) configs with :<port>.

Regards,

--

- Frank