Is there any tools can build a mirror of portsnap?

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 05:01:41 PST 2009

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> simply do portsnap in one place and use rsync to mirror /var/db/portsnap
>
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Razor wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>   I want to build a mirror server of portsnap in my company. But I
>> couldn't
>> find any tools either in ports-mgmt or in google. So is there a tool
>> can do
>> this?

There is a script in the freebsd cvs repository to mirror the portsnap
servers, but from the README with it.

"this is not an invitation to start running a portsnap mirror as well.
There
is nothing to stop you from mirroring from portsnap[12].freebsd.org,
but since mirroring consumes ~5GB/month of bandwidth while updating a
single machine consumes ~5MB/month of bandwidth, adding unnecessary
mirrors is likely to increase rather than decrease the load on the
official mirrors.  If in doubt, talk to me (cperciva at FreeBSD.org) first."

So if you think its worth it (you have 1000 or so clients to upgrade,)
go look in the cvs repository under projects.

Vince