switching bsdlabel's label

Eduardo Meyer dudu.meyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 04:45:30 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 03:36:34PM -0200, Eduardo Meyer wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Patrick M. Hausen <hausen at punkt.de> wrote:

>> > Why not simply use bsdlabel -e da0s1?
>>
>> Because I didnt know about that? ;-)
>>
>> Thank you for the hint.
>>
>> However I still have the same doubt. Since basically its the same
>> task, Is it safe do relabel this way?
>
> Hmmm.  Is there stuff written on the disk.  Is root stuff really written
> on da0s1d and /home stuff really written on da0s1a?   Does the system boot
> from it OK?
>
> Or is it just that the mounts are switched.
> The mount points are not written in to the label.   That comes after
> booting.   If it boots, I wonder if it really is switched on the
> partitions or if it is just that the partitions are mounted backwards
> (probably due to editing /etc/fstab incorrectly).
>
> ////jerry

Hello Patrick, thanks again. Yes, label is switched. Yes there really
are stuff on the partitions. No, I dont boot from da0s1d. It is a disk
for migration. But the one who partitioned was fooled by Sysinstall
which creates the first label on extra disks as 'd' and the last from
the allowed 7 as 'a'. Therefore this server is still booting on the
original disk (ad6s1a) and everything else is mounted in the new one
(da0s1), everything but root.