DUMP: read error: Bad address

Chris Jones chris at cjones.org
Tue Jan 20 11:11:12 PST 2009

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Chris Jones <chris at cjones.org> writes:
>
>> # dump -0aL -f - /var | ( cd /mnt/var && restore -rf - )
>>
>> I got about a dozen messages like this:
>>
>>  DUMP: read error from /dev/ad8s1d: Bad address: [block 10992192]:
>> count=5120
>>
> It could be a serious problem, but is not necessarily such.
> Can you use smarttools to query the disk firmware for *its*
> opinion?

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

...so I assume the drive thinks it's doing just fine.

Is this likely coming from a signal error, like a bad cable? Is it
random driver lossage? Most importantly, is the ATA driver going to
retry and correct this error, or does it mean I'm getting corrupted data
on my disks?

Chris