Strange nvidia GeForce 9800GT--harddrive conflict?

Jakub T jakub.tlck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 08:52:33 PST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to start X on FreeBSD-7.1-RELEASE (i386) with up-to-date ports
tree with this graphics card:

nvidia0: <GeForce 9800 GT> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
nvidia0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
nvidia0: [ITHREAD]

When I try to start X, with or without xorg.conf generated either by Xorg or
by nvidia-xconfig, with or without kernel nvidia module loaded, I get a lot
of errors like this:

(EE) end of block range 0xfb < begin 0xfffffffc

Then, my hard drive detaches, like this (not copy-pasted text):

ad7: FAILURE - device detached
subdisk7: detached
g_vfs_done(): ad7s1f [WRITE(offset=... length=...)]error = 6
vnode_pager_getpages: I/O read error
panic: vinvalbuf: dirty bufs

What is interesting is that I succeeded to start xinit once, without visible
problems.

The problem is similar to what was reported here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-81983.html

Does anybody know a solution? If more information about my system is needed,
I'll post them.

Jakub