ldapsearch question

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Sun Jan 18 20:20:48 PST 2009

> I receive the same results using mail=*.  Following is the latest
> ldapsearch command.
>
> ldapsearch -D "cn=admin_user,cn=users,dc=xx,dc=com" -x -w "password" -
> h 10.129.10.42 -p 3268 -b 'dc=abc,dc=com' -s sub '(!
> (objectclass=computer))' '(mail=*)' dn mail
>
> Is it possible to search on the attribute, mail, not being present?

Hummm, that may be a feature from Active directory.

When searching in LDAP:

attribue=* means the attribute is present and set

!(attribute=*) means the attribute is not set or the attribute is not
    present (this attribute does not exist for that object, or the
    attribute exist for the object but is not being used)

I am not using active directory but OpenLDAP, so I canno help further.

Bests,

Olivier