iwn driver on 7.1

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 16:05:45 PST 2009

The kernel panic was due to a NULL pointer dereference in the module.
The code that was commented out created a situation in which the array
of structs (line 2412):

static const struct iwn_chan_band iwn_bands[]

contained only 2 items. The code following the struct array that
obtained the list of authorized channels:

/* read the list of authorized channels */
	for (i = 0; i < N(iwn_bands)-2; i++)
		iwn_read_eeprom_band(sc, &iwn_bands[i]);

didn't actually get a list of anything, since N(iwn_bands)-2 evaluates
to zero in this case.

The NULL pointer part comes in when the call to
ieee80211_sort_channels() on line 2436 sends a list of no items with a
value of 0 for ic->ic_nchans. The backported insertion sort code from
8.0-CURRENT's 802.11 stack fails somewhere because of this value, due
to access of some memory address in the chancompar() or swap(?) -- I
didn't really dig that far into it.

I guess the purpose of commenting out the A channels in the
iwn_bands[] was to keep the driver from potentially using them, but
honestly, I'm not sure if that's the appropriate way to do that (I'm
just getting into this stuff). I'm sure the MFC'd VAP stuff that Sam
Leffler is working on will alleviate all of this, but I wanted a
working iwn(4) for now ;)