skype permissions

Joakim Fogelberg joafog.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 19:35:45 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Beech Rintoul <beech at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 15:15:13 Joakim Fogelberg wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net>
> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the shot, Joakim, but that didn't work either.  When calling
>> > Skype
>> > from user's command prompt still get the same result.  BTW, I'm using
>> > Xfce as my desktop.
>> >
>> > Rem
>>
>> Just for the record... I'm also able to start Skype from the command
>> prompt.
>
> What happens if you do: /usr/local/share/skype/skype as a normal user?

No problem for me. Skype is started without any problems.

>> I'm not sure if I really understand makefiles, but it seems to me that
>> /usr/local/share/skype are created with the following directive in
>> /usr/ports/net/skype/Makefile:
>>         @cd ${WRKSRC}/&&${COPYTREE_SHARE} "avatars icons sounds lang"
>> ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}/
>>
>> Maybe the directory should be created first? I.e. change it to the
>> following: @${INSTALL} -d ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}
>>         @cd ${WRKSRC}/&&${COPYTREE_SHARE} "avatars icons sounds lang"
>> ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}/
>
> copytree_share does create the dir first if it doesn't exist. FWIW, I loaded
> xfwm and tried to reproduce this, but it works fine as a normal user on my
> -current box. I doubt if it would be any different on a 7.x box. I've seen
> this problem once or twice before, but both me and Skype are at a loss to
> explain why it's happening. I'll chat with the Skype devs later this evening
> and see if one of them has any suggestions.

I have 7.1-RELEASE-p2 installed.
compat.linux.osrelease: 2.6.16
linprocfs mounted
linux_base-f8-8_10

I changed to root (su -) before I installed skype. root's shell is
/bin/csh. umask is 22. I can\t recall that I should have done anything
"creative" with the root account.

I just removed skype, checked that /usr/local/share/skype were
removed, and reinstalled skype (this time I actually logged in as root
instead of using 'su -'. I also checked that the umask was 22) with:

make WITH_NVIDIA_GL=yes
make WITH_NVIDIA_GL=yes install

and:

will-try# ls -l /usr/local/share/|grep skype
drwx------    6 root  wheel   512 Jan 17 04:03 skype

I'm not really sure if I understand the COPY_SHARE routine in bsd.port.mk:

COPYTREE_SHARE= ${SH} -c '(${FIND} -d $$0 $$2 | ${CPIO} -dumpl $$1 >/dev/null \
                                        2>&1) && \
                                        ${CHOWN} -R
${SHAREOWN}:${SHAREGRP} $$1 && \
                                        ${FIND} -d $$0 $$2 -type d
-exec chmod 755 $$1/{} \; && \
                                        ${FIND} -d $$0 $$2 -type f
-exec chmod ${SHAREMODE} $$1/{} \;' --

but it seems to me that the 4:th row change the permission on all
directories below /usr/local/share/skype/. However, the permissions
for the directory /usr/local/share/skype are not changed. I also made
a quick test with cpio, to simulate how /usr/local/share/skype are
created:

will-try# ls -lR
total 0
will-try# mkdir subdir
will-try# find subdir | cpio -dumpl rootdir/
0 blocks
will-try# ls -lR
total 4
drwx------  3 root  wheel  512 Jan 17 04:24 rootdir
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan 17 04:24 subdir

./rootdir:
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan 17 04:24 subdir

./rootdir/subdir:
total 0

./subdir:
total 0

It seems that the directory created by cpio do indeed get the wrong
permissions. Maybe there should be an explicit change of the
permission in COPYTREE_SHARE ? (chmod 755 $$1)

> Beech
> --
> Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
> /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
> \ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
>  X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
> / \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.1R/announce.html

Joakim Fogelberg