skype permissions

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 16 16:28:47 PST 2009

On Friday 16 January 2009 15:15:13 Joakim Fogelberg wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net>
wrote:
> > Joakim Fogelberg wrote:
> >>
> >> This did the trick for me. I just installed skype and:
> >>
> >> will-try# ls -l /usr/local/share/ | grep skype
> >> drwx------    6 root  wheel   512 Jan 17 00:13 skype
> >>
> >> After changing the permissions I am able to start skype from the Gnome
> >> menu.
> >
> > Thanks for the shot, Joakim, but that didn't work either.  When calling
> > Skype
> > from user's command prompt still get the same result.  BTW, I'm using
> > Xfce as my desktop.
> >
> > Rem
>
> Just for the record... I'm also able to start Skype from the command
> prompt.

What happens if you do: /usr/local/share/skype/skype as a normal user?

> I'm not sure if I really understand makefiles, but it seems to me that
> /usr/local/share/skype are created with the following directive in
> /usr/ports/net/skype/Makefile:
>         @cd ${WRKSRC}/&&${COPYTREE_SHARE} "avatars icons sounds lang"
> ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}/
>
> Maybe the directory should be created first? I.e. change it to the
> following: @${INSTALL} -d ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}
>         @cd ${WRKSRC}/&&${COPYTREE_SHARE} "avatars icons sounds lang"
> ${PREFIX}/${SKYPEDIR}/

copytree_share does create the dir first if it doesn't exist. FWIW, I loaded
xfwm and tried to reproduce this, but it works fine as a normal user on my
-current box. I doubt if it would be any different on a 7.x box. I've seen
this problem once or twice before, but both me and Skype are at a loss to
explain why it's happening. I'll chat with the Skype devs later this evening
and see if one of them has any suggestions.

Beech
Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.1R/announce.html