vipw and bash login shell

Daniel Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Fri Jan 16 11:16:06 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Kurt Bigler <kkb at breathsense.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I used vipw to change the login shell to /usr/local/bin/bash (which is
> listed in /etc/shells, and was built from ports), subsequent ssh login
> attempts fail (password rejected).  If I change the shell back to /bin/sh
> or
> /bin/csh then login works again.
>
> If I instead use webmin Users and Groups to set the login shell to bash (or
> any other shell), everything is fine.  There is a delay of quite a few
> seconds for the webmin Save operation to complete, whereas after ZZ the
> vipw
> completes without any perceptible delay.

Kurt,

What happens if you change the shell via chsh?  What happens if you attempt
to set a different shell, like /bin/tcsh?  Do you get the same result when
you "log in" from within the shell using "login" or "su"?  What does the
user's login line look like in /etc/master.passwd after either vipw or
webmin?  Are you certain you aren't doing something silly with your editor
like a line wrap or DOS newlines?

If you want to debug, you can try doing ssh -v and / or sshd -d.

Good luck!

Sincerely,
-daniel

--