FreeBSD 7.1, PF errors - "Cannot allocate memory"

Mike Sweetser - Adhost mikesw at adhost.com
Fri Jan 16 11:10:34 PST 2009

Hello,

We've recently upgraded our PF firewalls from FreeBSD 6.3 to FreeBSD
7.1-RELEASE-p2.  Since doing so, we are receiving intermittent errors on
reloading the PF configuration.

At first, we receive "Cannot allocate memory" errors on specific table
names.  These tables worked properly on FreeBSD 6.3, and are less than
60,000 entries each.  Sometimes, flushing the table will work, but
recently, we started getting the following error, even with every table
cleared:

DIOCADDRULE: Cannot allocate memory

The server has plenty of memory, and again, was running fine under 6.3.
Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Mike Sweetser