Importing into VMWare Workstation 6.5

James Seward jamesoff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 08:51:13 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you kindly share the steps you followed? It looks like that's what I
> have to do, as this app is commercial and I don't have that money now:-)

Here's a page that describes the process:
http://digiassn.blogspot.com/2006/01/dd-over-netcat-for-cheap-ghost.html

The only change I'd suggest to that is adding something like bs=1M to
the dd command on the source to speed up reading a bit.

You can also achieve this with dump instead of dd if you want to
change the disk size, for example. When I did it I believe I booted
both sides off a FreeSBIE disc/ISO since it offers a nicer environment
than e.g. the recovery console. The LiveCD option in sysinstall may
also be a good way to go.

/JMS