How to copy only skeleton files while creating a existing user's homes directory?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jan 16 03:09:42 PST 2009

Hello,
I have the following situation:

Users are stored in OpenLDAP. I need to create homes directories on new
machine memebers in the pool of workstations and do not want the usage
of an automated creation of loggin in user via pam_mkhomedir. Creation
should be done manually.
My question: is it possible to use a FreeBSD tool/command like 'pw(8)'
only for copying and initiating an existant user's home?

I tried simply pw useradd USER -m -b /homes/ for that purpose, but pw
errors me saying the user USER already exists (is a OpenLDAP user).

Thanks in advance,
Oliver